Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03 Betrayal
I recently read the book "Know My Name", by Chanel Miller, the woman assaulted by Stanford student Brock Turner (you know, light reading to distract me from the pandemic). I found Chanel’s book insightful and relatable, not only because, like her, I am a sexual assault survivor, but also because I found her process applicable to my experience with cancer. Chanel writes about how healing doesn’t happen by trying to advance past a trauma. Counter-intuitively, healing happens by delving into the trauma, facing it, examining it thoroughly (ideally with the help of a good therapist and/or other support systems – writing a book or a blog seems to work decently, too) until its power defuses somewhat, and it becomes one of many parts of your story, rather than the single defining moment, leaving everything else to fall “before” or “after.” If a person can find their way to this point then, as Chanel writes, instead of having the past trauma define the rest of their life, they can begin to belong more to their present.

Messages In This Thread
03 Betrayal - by admin - 06-26-2020, 06:42 AM
RE: 03 Betrayal - by PTSD-Former-Jikoji-Resident - 07-22-2020, 05:41 PM
RE: 03 Betrayal - by admin - 07-26-2020, 12:49 AM
RE: 03 Betrayal - by Sunyata - 08-06-2020, 08:49 PM